Friday 31 August 2012

My solitary regatta starts at 09h30 tomorrow – you can follow online!



Today Tim and myself took Mic Mac to Societe Natique de Geneve. I confirmed my registration (as if paying 100 CHF out of my pocket was not confirmation enough), signed off on a standard disclaimer for the organisers and got a magical yellow box that will let them put my race track on-line live. So you can watch my progress tomorrow! Here is an photo to encourage you :)

In the harbour, I had a chance to pass by some competitors, who were either adjusting the rig tension or washing their already immaculate hulls. I was glad I had managed to wash Mic Mac’s on Monday. 

I have also seen this example of how obsessed sailors are with boat performance: this little contraption is meant to (I guess) avoid water turbulence around the little hole (which is there for the rain water to flow out of the cockpit). I wonder how many metres you can actually gain because of something like that – but it illustrates the attitude. 


Comparing it with the photo of Mic Mac’s keel which I posted on Monday, one could feel a little intimidated, but somehow I don’t. I know some sailors here are practically pros, but it is not going to take away from my pleasure. I am happy with the improvements I could introduce on Mic Mac (the new compass, suspension lines for the spi bag) and above all I am happy with everything that I have learned through these last 36 days. It has been a great adventure!

Somehow the skipper’s apero was not very popular; I guess everybody prefers to get a good night’s sleep – a luxury we may not be able to afford tomorrow. The forecast predicts cold, wet and stormy weather, so maybe it will not be that long? Anyway, may plan is to enjoy every minute of it!
 
Thanks for reading – and for all the support I have got from you!
Michał





No comments:

Post a Comment